One of the most beautiful and most visited destinations in India, located in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, is Ladakh. It is a ‘Cold Desert’ and is known for its beautiful panoramic views, valleys, lakes and monasteries. The region shares its international boundary with Tibet and has a huge influence of Tibetan culture on its customs and lifestyle. It is generally a barren land and has low atmospheric pressure. Owing to its cold, dry and harsh climatic conditions, tourists and travellers are required to take certain necessary precautionary measures during their visit to the Land of High Passes. Being one of the safest travel destination for solo women travellers, every year Ladakh witnesses thousands of women visiting the place for an ideal summer break.
One of the major problems which a visitor will come across on their trip to Leh and Ladakh is altitude sickness or acute mountain sickness. It occurs due to the exposure of the body to lower percentage of oxygen and low air pressure at high latitudes. If proper precautions are taken then it is absolutely not an issue to cause hindrance to your travel plans. Symptoms of Acute Mountain Sickness are – dizziness, headache, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, loss of breath and rapid heart rate.
Acclimatization is one of the important things to prepare for while planning trip to Ladakh. The fact that Leh and most of the places in Ladakh are located above the altitude of 10,000 feet, visitors may suffer from dizziness, headaches or even acute mountain sickness (AMS). So planning to acclimatize to the high altitude condition becomes one of the most important things to take into consideration while you are planning your trip to Ladakh.
Precautionary Measures to overcome AMS
Following are few simple and preventive measures which can help you to remain fit during your visit to Ladakh
- Before your visit to Ladakh it is suggested to get a complete physical check-up done to ensure that you have no serious health issues
- If you are on any sort of medication related to heart, lungs or any other critical parts of the body then it is suggested to consult your doctor before the trip to avoid any untoward incidents.
- Abstain from antidepressants and alcohols during the tour.
- After you reach Ladakh get acclimatized by taking proper rest for at least 48 hours
- Review and identify the symptoms of mountain sickness so you can attend to them quickly.
- It is suggested to drink ample quantity of water to keep your body hydrated. Glucose when mixed and consumed with drinking water will give you the required extra energy
- Don’t over stress your body with tiring physical activities and adventurous sports.
- It is suggested to descend and ascend slowly and with sufficient halts at places.
- Avoid overeating
- It is advisable to carry camphors wrapped in handkerchief which when inhaled will allow you to breathe properly in case you have any trouble in respiration.
- While visiting high altitude passes like Khardung La, Chang La, Taglang La etc. make sure that you do not spend 5 to 10 mins in these places as you might suffer from ACM here.
- It is suggested to carry portable oxygen cylinders to avoid unnecessary health issues
Travelling is fun and a bit of responsible travelling will add all the more happiness to your plans. So with these travel tips in mind get ready to visit one of the most sought after place in India and write your own unique travel tales.